Thursday, September 30, 2010

Quick Tip: Milk, It Does a Body (and Face) Good!

I love the change of the seasons- unfortunately, my skin doesn't. Here's a quick soother for my skin that I can throw on anytime, because it only requires two "ingredients" that I always have on hand: a washcloth and some milk.

We all know that milk helps us grow big & strong when we drink it, but it's also great on the skin. The lactic acid in milk is a gentle exfoliator, milk fats and proteins act as skin-identical moisturizers and amino acids help to soothe irritation.

The simplest way to take advantage of these benefits is to soak a washcloth in milk (any type of milk will work, I prefer whole milk because of it's higher fat & protein content). I like to heat the cloth a bit by placing it in a shallow dish of milk and nuking it for about 10 seconds. Needless to say (yet here I go...) please make sure you test the cloth to make sure it's not too hot before you slap it on to your face! If the temperature is good for you, place the warm cloth on your skin for around 10 minutes, then rinse well with tepid water, and apply your normal moisturizer.

Oh, if you want to be fancy (or are too claustrophobic to sit with your nose & eyes covered for 10 minutes) you can actually buy disposable face mask cloths for the ridiculous tune of around a dollar or two for a dozen! They come compressed in a "tablet"- you just pour the liquid of your choice over them to make them expand, then pop them on! BTW, thanks to Charlotte of Lipglossiping for making me aware of those nifty little do-dads!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...