Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Product Review:
CoverGirl Outlast Lipstain

Recently, I've been vetting every long-wearing lipstick I can get my hands on. (Keep an eye out for a future post with my complete side-by-side comparisons.) Though not a traditional long wear formula, Cover Girl Outlast Lipstain kept popping up in my favorite beauty magazines, praised for it's ease of use and long-lasting results. When Oprah gave it one of her Spring O-wards for "Most Enduring Performance" I decided that it was time to give it a try.

For the sake of consistency in my long-wear trials, I decided to test similar shades in each formula. Since bright colors are most likely to show signs of wear, I chose the shade closest to true red that each line offers. In the Outlast Lipstain range (10 shades, though none of the stores I went to had the full range in stock) the color I chose was "Wild Berry Wink", a slightly blue based red.

When I first drew it onto my lips, I was in love! The color was smooth, bold, and it even smelled good. I ran downstairs to rave to my (completely disinterested) fiance. Then I licked my lips. Not only did 80% of the color disappear from my lips, but it relocated onto my tongue and teeth! I looked as if I'd just drank a gallon of Hawaiian Punch! Through the course of a few weeks, I've tried several different techniques for applying the color, always with the same disappointing results. After all of the great reviews I'd seen, I really wanted to love this product. Perhaps that's why I was so let down with the results- to quote one of my favorite fluff-rock lyrics: "If you don't expect too much from me, you might not be let down."

I have struggled to find positives about this product, a reason to give it any praise at all. I would say that if it's a 1 out of 10, that one point is simply margin of error- I tried one color out of the range; perhaps the other colors perform better. I seem to see nothing but good reviews everywhere I look; I have to admit that I'm tempted to pick up another shade just to see if perhaps I got a defective lot. If I do find out that's the case, I promise to update you, but for now, I'm afraid 1 out of 10 is the best I can do.

Pros
- I truly can't list any pros that aren't canceled out by Outlast Lipstain's poor performance. While claims that it is lightweight and non-drying may technically be true, it's kind of a moot point since the product was gone the second I licked my lips (even after waiting 10 minutes for it to "dry"). So, yes, of course your lips will feel weightless- it's because there's nothing on them!

Cons
- Color washes off immediately when it comes into contact with water or saliva.
- Color easily transfers to skin and clothing (including tongue and teeth after licking lips).
- The stain's fruity scent is rather strong and may not be best for those who are sensitive to scented products.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...