Thursday, August 27, 2009

Localized Breakouts:
Is Your Skin Trying to Tell You Something?

If you're plagued by localized breakouts, your daily activities may be more at fault than your skin care routine. If a particular area of your face seems to constantly erupt, analyzing your daily habits and making a few quick changes could be all you need to have clear skin.

For instance, if your breakouts tend to prefer your jawline or chin area, be aware of whether you habitually prop your head up on your hand while you're sitting at your desk during the day. It's highly likely that oil and dirt from your hand could be transferring onto your skin and causing irritation. If that's not your issue, ask yourself if your job (or your gossip habit!) has you on the phone a lot. The receiver of a phone can harbour dirt and bacteria and is constantly exposed to germs from the multitude of people touching and breathing into it all day (eww, right?) Try to keep your hands off of your face as much as possible, and wipe down your telephone receiver each morning with alcohol or an anti-bacterial cleansing cloth (you can buy wipes specifically for this purpose!)

Is the inner bridge of your nose a problem area? Do you wear glasses? Using an alcohol wipe each day to wipe off the part of your glasses that rests on your nose can help to eliminate the problem.

Is your forehead prone to bumps, no matter what you do? If you wear bangs, the oils from your hair, not to mention any hair product you use, could be exacerbating the condition. Try pinning your bangs up for a few days to see if the problem begins to subside. If you decide that your bangs are part of the problem, don't go for the scissors quite yet. Try spraying your fringe with a bit of dry shampoo to help absorb excess oil and keep it from transferring onto your skin.

So, you can see, with just a little Sherlock Holmes style observation and a few easy remedies, you may just find that the answer to your most mysterious breakouts was right there the whole time!

2 comments:

Ashley! said...

I always have breakouts my right jaw line. It has to be from the phone...or maybe from my pillow. I love this post, thank you! I hate being 24 and still coping with acne. I do everything right...use a great cleanser from lush, use tea tree oil, take birth control. It's so frustrating.

Unknown said...

Hopefully this will help! I know how you feel- people always told me I had perfect skin and I never believed them- until now, when my post-baby skin is the worst it's ever been!

If I had a dime for every time someone complained to me that they were breaking out, but only around the chin...I'd ask if their job required a lot of phone time and I'd see a light go off as they said "I'm a receptionist/telemarketer/ operator" Ockham's Razor: Sometimes the answer is so obvious we look right past it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...