Sunday, August 2, 2009

Top 5 Fragrances (that I don’t want you to wear!)

Having worked in cosmetics for as long as I have, I’ve amassed quite a fragrance library. I have limited edition Escadas and huge bottles of Chanels that sit untouched. I honestly feel I own a fragrance for every mood, season and outfit- I even have one that feels distinctly purple. The list below is a compilation of my favorite scents, the ones that I travel with and buy time and time again. These scents are the ones that define me; knowing them gives you, the reader, a direct insight into who I am.

1. Lolita Lempicka- my all time favorite, signature scent. I actually considered not listing this, because I want it to be mine- all mine! Top notes of Ivy and Anise Seed dry down to combine with middle notes of Violet, ending with creamy Vanilla and Musk base notes. Sweet but not cloying, Lolita reminds me of a grown up version of cotton candy.

2. Gucci Rush- Quite frankly, this smells like sex to me. A sultry, not too woody oriental, Rush was my first “grown up” fragrance- a step away from the light, fruity florals of my youth, though there are florals present- notably South African Freesia and Madras Jasmine. These top notes combine with the pop and spice of Coriander Seed which lay on top of an unmistakable base of Java Patchouli, Vanilla and Bourbon Vetiver. Gucci Rush is one of the many reasons I look forward to fall, though it’s too good to restrict to cool weather- it’s overt womanliness makes it the perfect date night scent.

3. Thierry Mugler’s Angel- Arguably the most popular or my favorites, and not to be confused with the powdery sandalwood of the Victoria’s Secret Angel fragrances, Thierry Mugler’s star shaped masterpiece is a groundbreaking elixir of Vanilla, Caramel, Chocolate and Patchouli. It's earthy but edible vibe marked the launch of a new fragrance catagory, called gourmand, and was the first to take a complete departure from floral notes.

4. Chanel Chance- Though many purists would argue for the classics, I’ve always found Chanel’s scents a bit too…let’s say “vintage”…for my tastes. When Chance debuted in 2002, it was described as the classic house’s “decidedly young” scent, but make no mistake- it’s still Chanel. Chance is chic and energetic: a complex blend of Pink Pepper, Hyacinth, White Musk and crisp Citrus notes which, at it’s Patchouli and Fresh Vetiver heart manages to feel luxe and fresh at the same time.

5. Miss Dior Cherie- with notes like Strawberry Leaves, Caramelized Popcorn, and Green Tangerine, you might imagine Cherie to smell like a teenager’s lip gloss, but factor in the soft woodiness of Crystalline Musk and the herbal notes of Pink Jasmine, and you’re left with a fresh floral that is grown-up but unpretentious. Somewhat similar to Chance, with less of a citrus accord, Miss Dior Cherie is the perfect scent to dress up a pair of jeans.



And one I’m loving right now:

Sud Pacifique Vanille Pineapple- This one sounds like exactly what it is- bright frothy Pineapple mixed with the smoothness of vanilla in a way that gives the scent warmth without too much sweetness. Perfect for summer, but like the season, the scent is all to fleeting. Since the Pineapple is the sole top note, it is very obvious at the onset, but fades quickly, giving way to a velvety vanilla crème and coconut milk base that just feels like an island vacation (and makes me very thirsty!)

3 comments:

Retropinuplady said...

I love the way you describe the scents.which Lolita Lempicka perfume is the one you are describing,I'm completely lost on the website there are so many different ones :)

Unknown said...

I wear the original fragrance, which is called simply "Lolita Lempicka". The website has it under a tab marked "the first fragrance." It comes in a beautiful purple apple shaped bottle- the spray actually comes out of the golden "stem" of the mythical fruit.

eula_w said...

Eugenie Eau de Parfum is one of my favorite perfume. Really love the scents when I spray it of my body. :)
women pheromones

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...